Yield: 12 cupcakes Time: 45 minutes (plus cooling time)
for the chocolate cupcakes
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g golden caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk
1 medium egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g milk chocolate chips
for the reindeer tops
a few tablespoons of Nutella
mini amaretti biscuits
white chocolate buttons (optional)
dark chocolate chips
Heat the oven to 170C.
Line a 12-cup muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a bowl. Add the sugar and butter, and mix until combined and you have a sandy consistency.
- Whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla in a jug, and slowly pour half into the flour mixture until combined, then repeat with the second half. Be careful not to over mix.
- Mix in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Spoon into the waiting muffin cases and bake for 18-22 minutes until a knife comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool fully.
- Top each cooled muffin with a tablespoon of Nutella and spread out with a fork until you have a fur pattern.
- Place mini amaretti biscuits at the bottom of each as a muzzle, with a red M&M as a nose, and white chocolate buttons topped with dark chocolate chips as eyes. A couple of pretzels at the top give them their antlers!
Cupcake recipe adapted from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook, p17.