TWIT-TWOO OWL CUPCAKES
Yield: 12 cupcakes Time: 45 minutes (plus cooling time)
for the chocolate cupcakes
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g golden caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk
1 medium egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g milk chocolate chips
for the owl tops
a few tablespoons of Nutella
milk chocolate buttons
white chocolate buttons
milk chocolate chips
jelly diamonds, halved
white chocolate stars (optional)
Heat the oven to 170C.
Line a 12-cup muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a bowl. Add the sugar and butter, and mix until combined and you have a sandy consistency.
- Whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla in a jug, and slowly pour half into the flour mixture until combined, then repeat with the second half. Be careful not to over mix.
- Mix in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Spoon into the waiting muffin cases and bake for 18-22 minutes until a knife comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool fully.
- Top each cooled muffin with a tablespoon of Nutella and spread out with a fork until you have a feather pattern.
- Place milk chocolate buttons across the bottom of each as feathers, and white chocolate buttons topped with milk chocolate chips as eyes. Halved jelly diamonds as beeks to finish them off!
Owl topping adapted from the Waitrose Kitchen Magazine, October 2014.
Cupcake recipe adapted from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook, p17.