(Chewy) Anzac Biscuits
Yield: 20 medium-sized biscuits
1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
+Preheat the oven to 160C fan.
+ Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
1. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the oats, coconut, and brown sugar, and stir together.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, golden syrup, and water together over a medium heat. Once melted, remove from the heat. Add the bicarbonate of soda - it should froth up a little.
3. Pour the butter mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined.
4. Roll into balls (level teaspoon-sized for mini biscuits, level tablespoon-sized for larger biscuits) and place on the baking tray approximately 5cm apart. Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool gently on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack. They'll be quite soft when they first come out, but harden up somewhat as they cool. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks (if you make them last that long then I applaud you), and they are also suitable for freezing.