'Pumpkin' (and the odd ghost) Meringues
(Inspired by Leanne's Jack-O'-Lanterns; meringue recipe from Delia Smith)
2 large egg whites
110g caster sugar
4-5 drops vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon orange colour paste
1 piping bag + large round piping nozzle (I used a disposable piping bag so as to avoid staining my regular bag)
black edible ink pen
+ Preheat the oven to 140C.
+ Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
1. Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks (if you're using a processor with a whisk attachment, I followed Delia's suggestion of 1 minute on slow until froth appears, followed by two minutes on slow-medium, and then switch up to medium-high until you have stiff peaks).
2. Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time, allowing it to be fully incorporated.
3. Add the vanilla and then the colouring until combined.
4. Carefully spoon into your piping bag, and then pipe onto baking parchment into large, plump circles.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, and then switch the oven off, leaving the meringues inside to cool down with the oven (about 1 hour).
6. Once cooled, draw your faces! Store in an airtight container.