Nigella calls these Snickerdoodles, though for the life of me I can't figure out why. They have nothing to do with Snickers. They don't even have anything to do with chocolate. I must be missing something clever.
My friend, Helen, suggested I call these Nutmeg Bites instead which I thought was very fitting, so Nutmeg Bites it is.
My cat, Tabitha, is also a great fan.
(Source: Nigella Lawson's How To Be A Domestic Goddess)
Yield: 25-30 balls
for the bites
250g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
125g unsalted butter, room temperature
100g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the coating
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
+ Pre-heat oven to 180C.
+ Line a large baking tray.
1. Combine the flour, nutmeg, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
2. Cream the butter with 100g of the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
4. Stir in the dry ingredients until mixed.
5. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon on a plate.
6. With your fingers, squidge out pieces of dough and roll between the palms of your hands into walnut-sized balls.
7. Roll each ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and arrange on your baking sheet. Allow an inch or two between them as they spread slightly.
8. Bake for fifteen minutes until golden brown. Take the tray out of the oven and allow them to sit for one minute, before transferring to a wire rack to cool.