Thursday, 7 February 2013
Yield: 10-20 cookies, depending on size
240g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
145g unsalted butter
175g light brown sugar
70g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
300g nougat, chopped up
1. Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugars together until light and creamy - about five minutes.
3. Add the egg slowly, until fully incorporated.
4. Stir in the vanilla.
5. Add the dry ingredients until just combined.
6. Stir in the nougat chunks.
7. Scoop into balls and refrigerate for at least half an hour. (If you plan to eat all of them straight from the oven, then this doesn't matter so much. If you're going to cook the batch and leave them to cool, I recommend chilling them as it adds to the chewiness.)
9. Heat the oven to 175C (350F). Place your cookie dough balls two inches apart on a baking tray and cook for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown around the edges, but still soft in the middle.
10. Contain your impatience by leaving them to cool on the baking tray for ten minutes, otherwise they'll fall apart! Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.