Star-Topped Chocolate Fairy Cakes with Vanilla Buttercream
Yield: sixteen medium fairy cakes (cupcakes), makes twelve star-topped
For the cakes
130g unsalted butter, room temperature
130g caster sugar
2 large eggs
130g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the buttercream
50g unsalted butter, room temperature
50g icing sugar (powdered sugar), sifted
5-6 drops vanilla extract
+ Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
+ Lay out twelve fairy cake cases in your tray.
1. Blend the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy - about five minutes.
2. Add the eggs, a little at a time, until fully incorporated.
3. Add the vanilla.
4. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, until just combined. Add a tablespoon or two of hot water if necessary, so that the mixture drops off the spoon.
5. Fill the fairy cake cases until 2/3 full, and bake for 17 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, use a fork to mix together your softened butter and icing sugar until fully combined. Add butter or sugar until it's your perfect blend, and then mix in the vanilla extract.
7. Once the cakes have cooled, slice three or four of them into cake circles so that you can cut out your stars. (I turn mine side on and slice each cake into three levels.)
8. Ice your remaining twelve cakes, and place your sponge stars on top.