for the pastry
150g plain flour
90g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons water, approximately
for the filling
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup light corn syrup or glucose syrup
225g light brown sugar
30g unsalted butter, melted
125g pecans, broken up
+ 24cm / 9 1/2 inch flan tin (preferably with removable base)
+ Baking beans, for blind baking
- Sift the flour into a bowl, and then rub in the butter. Add enough water to form a soft dough. Knead the dough ball gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Roll dough onto floured surface until large enough to fill your 24cm tin. Lift it gently into the tin and press lightly into the sides. Trim the edge before lining with greaseproof paper and filling with baking beans.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly brown. (The recipe called for ten minutes with baking beans, ten minutes without, but I found my pastry bubbled that way so I just keep the baking beans in until I'm ready to pour in the filling.)
- Remove your pastry from the oven, take out the baking beans, and reduce oven temperature to 160C.
- Combine filling ingredients in mixer/bowl, mixing well. Pour into pastry case and bake for 55 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool fully.