Sunday, 2 December 2012
Christmas Morning Muffins
(from Nigella's Christmas)
Yield: 12 muffins
250g plain flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g caster sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 clementines (or satsumas)
approx. 125ml full-fat milk
75ml vegetable oil (or melted butter left to cool slightly)
1 large egg
175g dried cranberries
demerara sugar, for sprinkling
+ Preheat the oven to 200C.
+ Line a twelve-muffin tin with muffin papers.
1. Measure the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, caster sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg - into a large bowl.
2. Grate the zest of two clementines into the mixture; set to one side.
3. Squeeze the juice of the clementines into a measuring jug, and pour in the milk until it reaches the 200ml mark.
4. Add the oil and egg and lightly beat until just combined.
5. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Nigella says that a well-beaten mixture makes for heavier muffins, so lumps are good in this case!
6. Fold in the cranberries.
7. Spoon the mixture into your muffin cases, and sprinkle the tops of them with demerara sugar.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.