Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Yield: 48 mini cups (plus a giant cup, should you so wish! - see below)
For the base
50g soft dark brown sugar
200g icing sugar
50g soft unsalted butter
200g smooth peanut butter
For the topping
200g milk chocolate, broken up
100g dark chocolate, broken up
edible gold stars, or other decorations you have to hand (I bought mine from Jane Asher)
+ Lay out forty-eight petit-four paper cases (ideally gold!)
1. Mix together in a bowl (or mixer if you have one) the dark brown sugar, icing sugar, butter, and peanut butter until they become a sandy paste - or a consistency that you can easily pat into your cases.
2. Place 1 teaspoonful of the base in each case, before pressing down lightly with your fingertips until the entire base is covered.
3. Melt both chocolates together gently over a low heat. Remove from the heat once fully melted and allow to cool slightly.
4. Spoon 1 teaspoonful into each case on top of the base mixture. Gently tilt the cup in your hand until the chocolate has reached the edges.
5. Decorate your cups! I used a mixture of gold stars and gold dust on mine.
6. To set, either leave at room temperature for an hour or so, or place in the fridge for half an hour. You do lose the beautiful sheen on the chocolate if you refrigerate, though!
Giant Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
For extra topping
100g milk chocolate, broken up
50g dark chocolate, broken up
+ 18cm / 7 1/2in flan tin with removable base
1. Pat your remaining base mixture into an 18cm flan tin.
2. Melt another 100g of milk chocolate and 50g of dark chocolate. Allow to cool slightly before pouring in, over your peanut butter base.
3. Decorate with gold dust, or something similar, and leave to stand/chill in the fridge.