Linda McCartney’s Victoria Sponge
115g unsalted butter, room temperature
115g caster sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
3-4 drops vanilla extract
115g self-raising flour
Raspberry jam and double cream, whipped, to fill
Icing sugar to dust
+ Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
+ Butter and line two six-inch, loose-bottomed cake tins.
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and smooth (while trying not to eat it as you go along. I fail every time - sometimes I add a few extra grams of each because I just know what’s going to happen).
2. Add the eggs, a little at a time so as not to curdle them, until fully incorporated.
3. Add the vanilla.
4. Sift in the flour and fold in.
5. Add a little hot water, if necessary.
6. Divide the mixture as equally as you can between the two tins. I bake mine for 20 minutes - but all ovens vary, so once they've turned golden brown and the knife comes out clean, they're done!
7. Turn your cakes out onto a wire rack to cool. Once they've cooled to the touch, place one of them dome-down (rounded top down), and spread your cream as thickly as you like (I personally am not a fan of cakes with too much filling, but I'm well aware I'm in the minority!), before spooning on your raspberry jam and spreading evenly atop the cream. Place your second cake (dome-up) neatly on top, pressing down gently to sandwich the two together, and then lightly dust with icing sugar. Et voila!